Friday, May 14, 2010

the too perfect day ...


there is nothing i love more than a road trip on a beautiful sunny day so imagine how my heart raced when my temporarily retired groom said these words to me yesterday morning "why don't we skip the workout and go for a drive--it's a beautiful day" ...

gasp ...

am i dreaming? ...

road trip ...

leave early ...

just the two of us ...

in the sunshine ...

stop at one of my favorite antique shops ...

have lunch at a little cafe ...

gasp again ...

that blur was me dashing to the car ... grabbing nothing but a pair of knitting needles and some yarn (naturally) ...

first stop--the incredible "farm to market bakery/cafe" in edison ...


the owner's 3-year old daughter, stella, was helping her mom plant a vegetable garden ...

we had the most delicious peanut soup ...

ok i can't lie ...

we also shared a huckleberry scone made with local organic eggs and cream ...

jim, the cafe's owner, sent us down the street to an amazing bakery aptly called the breadfarm ...



"yes" a resounding "yes" we also dig the local farmers ...

but wait it gets better ...

jim sold to me for the low low price of $1/pound a bag of rhubarb for stewing ...


and if that's not enough, we headed to one of my favorite antique shops ...

"midway house antiques and retro interiors" where i found two shelving units already painted bright white and ready to go into my soon-to-be-newly-renovated studio ...

ken, the shop's owner, was cracking walnuts and he gave me a bag from his tree ...


so, home we came, with our treasures ...

fresh rhubarb, walnuts, loaves of bread, carful of antique shelves, bellies full of fabulous homebaked food ...



would someone please tell me why oh why you would ever choose to give up bread? ...

so after a wonderful day spent in the country with my groom ... laden with treasures from the land ...

i couldn't help but think that this was turning out to be "the too perfect day" ...






2 comments:

  1. This is really beautifully said and done!
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you kathleen ... i appreciate the kind words ...

    ReplyDelete